TOPIC: Insurance yes or no?

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98722

• Jaim
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
Beach Cat KLR wrote:
Mudslug wrote:
Mutual and Federal

I'm amazed with that price with M&F; in the past they were never close to 'cheapest'/'budget' types, but are very good with payouts apparantly.
Reading of theft: I think i may get a disk lock: R200-R250 odd i think i saw on FlyingBrick.

My bike had a disk lock on when it was stolen. Found the disk lock lying on the ground were my bike should have been. I was very lucky and got my bike back.

I have also had to break another disc lock off myself after it got jammed. They are not very difficult to get off. The cheap ones can just be bent open. They are only a short term deterrent but if someone has a little bit of time, they are almost worthless. In my opinion, a good thick cable lock is a better option.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98736

• Shadow
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Beer, Braai and Bush
  • Thank you received: 91
I insure the bike, plus the accessories separately and then my kit separately too, total premium is R460 of which R60 is for the kit, bike is valued at R40k - this is only R100pm less than my wifes Verso and almost double what my Defender costs, so its way out of proportion - but seeing as I have been taken out twice by cages and paid out twice, including some kit and a helmet, I have had my moneys worth!
Remember yesterdays braai, look forward to todays braai, and hope for tomorrows braai.

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98744

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
  • Thank you received: 848
I think whats also missing here is the importance of having balance of 3rd Party . so you can afford top pay for the guys Ferrari when you hit it. ride over it... :S
I like to drink lots of beer??
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Pannas.

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98752

• Beach Cat KLR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Personal Text
  • Thank you received: 94
Thanks 4 heads up Chaplain & Jaim; HECK, i'm surprised @ picking up a bike & going with it; must've been strong men: 3 @ least = 60kg ea?
Well disk locks seem useless too now, thanks Jaim. How effective is a steering lock? worth anything (the one in the ignition.)?
I've also hear countless stories of bolt cutters making short work of even thick chain, cable & thick locks. What is bolt cutter proof? Those viro 'cube locks'? Stainless steel 10mm round bar?
(thus far i park close to front doors of shops, etc or where security is watching bikes, etc.)
DT125LC, XJ750, '08 KLR650

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98754

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
  • Thank you received: 848
Fit a tracetec tracker unit
I like to drink lots of beer??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beach Cat KLR

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98755

• Mudslug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Doosburg If life's a journey, journey on a bike.
  • Thank you received: 39
Agree on trackers, most insurance companies will reduce your premiums if you fit one. My insurance is cheap because I insure 3 cars and my household as well.
MB50, RD350, XT500, RD350, GPZ500, F650GS DAKAR, F650GS, R1200GS, DT125, R1200GS ADV. , XR125, R1200GS ADV. , KLR650.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

Insurance yes or no? 3 years 2 months ago #98762

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 765
What do you considder cheap. I pay R860 for three bikes (fuglies) and household contents
  • Page: