Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Power loss, sounds different - frustrated!

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112838

• JakesZA
  • Gold Boarder
  • Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Thank you received: 43
Peter Vee wrote:
Had a similar problem a while back when Abre and I did a ride out Brits way.... similar symptoms... turned out that petcock diaphragm was toast.. fuel ran into carb while parked... overflowed into engine itself... DrKLR took a day to strip and sort... end of problem B)

Interesting- Jorg replaced my diaphragm quite recently- it would be very weird if it went again.
Die donkie is 'n wonderlike ding ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112839

• Peter Vee
  • Vini, Vidi, Velcro; I came, I saw, I stuck around
  • Thank you received: 1385
If your bike stood with petcock open you msy experience same issue....
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112840

• JakesZA
  • Gold Boarder
Peter Vee wrote:
If your bike stood with petcock open you msy experience same issue....

mmm... I use the bike every day- and IF I park it and plan on not riding it for more than two days, I close the tap.

Can it be possible that some vuilgoedjies got stuck in the screen and preventing the fuel from flowing properly?

Look, the problem started, then went away after i removed the tank and cleaned the carb, then it came back after about two weeks, then I repeated the "tank off and clean carb" ritual, but the problem persisted, and yesterday it started bogging down for the first time. So it's not a problem that came and stayed. I feel like something is blocking something somewhere, and it's moving around, causing inconsistency in performance.

Thanks for the feedback this far, guys, I appreciate the effort :) I'm adamant to get to the bottom of this, without spending money.

Re:Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112847

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
I did not see any mention of the carb breather. Maybe missed it. Look up "rain T mod" maybe the carb breather pipe is partially clogged with mud, or pinched.
A vacuum builds up in the carb float bowl while riding, then starves the enjine.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Riding and loving it.

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112852

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Jaco,
Quite likely the carb breather, as Voël says.

If you suspect water, run a bit of fuel out of the petcock into a glass bottle and let it stand dead still overnight. Water will look like little bubbles at the bottom.

Or syphon a bit through the filler cap, using very thin hose (your spare fuel hose?), reaching right down to the very bottom of the tank.

Water contamination can persist through several tankfuls.
But definitely check the carb breather first.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by xplorer.

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112861

• SarelG
  • Centurion GP
  • Thank you received: 624
JakesZA wrote:
Quick update-

Yesterday On the N1 between Woodstock and Bellville, When I speed up and reach 120-130, the bike starts stuttering and spluttering, so much so, that I have to pull over on the yellow lane and kind of coast, until the life comes back and i can speed up again. I repeated this process about 4 times. I'm guessing the whole problem is fuel delivery?

Jakes, I had this exact issue after installing a new in-line filter. Replaced it with another one and now going strong. Worth a try?
One day I will die, but on all the others I will not, so on those days I will live it to the fullest!!

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112870

• JakesZA
  • Gold Boarder
Hey guys-

Quick update: Last night, John and I took the tank off and upon inspection found the inside covered in what looked like rust or red gunk or something. We cleaned everything out with some sort of acid, which ate away the junk, leaving it mostly shiny on the inside. Then we rinsed with petrol and filled up. The inline filter was completely clogged up, so we got a new one. Now I just want to deep clean the carb- I suspect there might be some buildup inside, judging by the same red dust I found in the carb bowl. Any advice regarding deep cleaning the carb will be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to check everything you guys suggested in anyway, just to be sure. :)

Re:Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112873

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
I am still de-rusting. Tried some options at lining the tank after de-rusting. Bike's been on bricks for 4 months now. Long story.
Hydrochloric (pool) acid works quick but is dangerous stuff.
Phosphoric acid is what is normally used to remove rust. This also creates a protective phosphate layer over iron. Think of the gray layer over the metal of a PC case. I also tried copper plating the iside of the tank. Worked well, but I boched it later. So stripped it again.

Riding and loving it.
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Pannas.

Power loss, sounds different - frustrated! 2 years 11 months ago #112874

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 104
Jaco, you are welcome to bring me the stripped carb parts to put through my ultrasonic cleaner. Will knock the debris out of all the orifices and channels.
180seconds each side.
Not far from you, Parow North.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.

Power loss, sounds different-RESOLVED-touch wood! 2 years 10 months ago #112888

• JakesZA
  • Gold Boarder
Morning guys- just and update:

Turns out my tank was full of what looked like rust, but I don't think it was rust, maybe just poepies. Cleaned it out with pool acid, cleaned lines and got a new inline filter. Also cleaned the carb in Keith's (Xplorer) ultrasonic bath. A big thanks to John de Villiers and Keith Pickersgrill who helped me. Bike runs well now and I'm happy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LennyB, Keith