• Page:

TOPIC: My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117905

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 884
Good day all

For a while I have been considering making a list of what I have learned the past 7 years and almost 100 000km of owning a New Shape.

I hope that it will help you to make owning a KLR more enjoyable.

I will add more as I can.
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Abre.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117906

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
Starting with the front wheel:

Make sure that the tabs of the Speedo hub fits properly into the slots. If the do not align properly it will result in a damaged front hub. Luckily there is now a fairly easy fix, but rather fit it properly to prevent damage.

Also make sure that the Speedo hub sits at the correct angle. There is a little knob on the inside of the fork which should fit into a slot on the Speedo drive.

Make sure that the Speedo cable is properly secured at the bottom. They do come loose resulting in a lost Speedo cable.

The spacers should of course go back in the correct places when you put the wheel back.

Be easy on the pinch bolts, their heads are soft and can get damaged easily.

Use a good quality 12mm ring spanner to remove the calliper, I found that the standard spanner included in the bike's tools does not work well.
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117907

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
Invest in a set of crash bars. The radiator of the New Shapes are very vulnerable, a crash bar will protect the radiator as well as the side panels (to a certain extend).
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117908

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
Basic servicing:

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the sump plug. The thread can very easily strip which will result in major repairs (I don't even know how to fix this, bit I know it is a PITA).

Clean the air filter regularly, especially when you ride gravel. The New Shapes tend to clog up their filters quicker than the Fuglys. The filter sit behind a panel on the RHS of the bike. You will need a 8mm socket to remove the rear side panel to get to the door behind which the filter sits. I clean my filter with petrol, the soapy water and then rinsing it with water. I have two filters which I alternate. The clean and dry filter must be oiled properly before placing the filter back onto the plastic frame and securing it properly. I use good quality foam filter oil, one can lasts a long time. The valves will appreciate clean air coming from a clean and well piled filter

The plug can do a fair distance before it has to be replaced. When you do however decide to replace it, it is better to remove the tank completely in order to clean the area around the plug before removing it. Dirt and small stones can easily fall into the cylinder when you remove the old plug. The original plug socket works best, other sockets do not fit into the narrow space around the plug.
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117909

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
The rear swing arm bearings requires to be cleaned and lubricated properly. The bolt going through the shock knuckle and the bolt going through the front legs of the swing arm are susceptible to rust. In bad cases it can be a major issue to remove these bolts.

Make sure that the spacers of the rear axle go back into the correct places!!!!!
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117910

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
The year and month of manufacturing is indicated on the stearing stem. I thought I bought a 2011, only to realise that it is in fact a 2010 model manufactured in May and sold in 2011. The different years all have distinct colour schemes. Google "KLR timeline" as compiled by Wattman. The year model may be important because there are small technical changes from one year to the next, mainly on the rear calliper and rear brake fluid reservoir.
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117911

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
My bike's swing arm got damaged by acid water leaking from the battery. I should have changed over to a gel battery much sooner. It requires less maintenance and does not leak when you crash or drop your bike.
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117912

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
The bolts of the foot pegs are prone to strip. I fitted bolts which are slightly longer than the original bolts, luckily mine are holding up well. I keep an eye on them though and regularly check them.
Abré le Roux

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117913

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
The rear carrier and sub frame can and do fail. I fitted longer side bolts with lock nuts on the inside and it is holding up well. I do not use a top-box, I use soft luggage with a small cargo nets. It is more forgiving on the carrier and sub frame.
Abré le Roux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Psycho Porra, Keith, GvdH

My 2c worth of advice on owning a New Shape 3 months 2 weeks ago #117927

• capeklr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Planet Earth
  • Thank you received: 656
Abre wrote:

Make sure that the tabs of the Speedo hub fits properly into the slots. If the do not align properly it will result in a damaged front hub. Luckily there is now a fairly easy fix, but rather fit it properly to prevent damage.

When removing the front wheel, also clean and lubricate the speedo drive, these do get stuck which is another reason for damaged front wheel hubs.

Use a good quality 12mm ring spanner to remove the calliper, I found that the standard spanner included in the bike's tools does not work well.

I always use a hexagon socket. When tightening these bolts do not exceed 25N/m. These are also some of the only bolts on a KLR where I use Loctite.
"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
St Augustine
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by capeklr.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds