Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What petrol to use................

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109158

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 103
I have been adding a bit of Castrol Power One Racing 2T oil, which is their fully synthetic replacement of the ever popular Castrol TTS, to my KLR's unleaded fuel.

About a capful of oil per tankful, every second refuel.

Knowing there is no EGO (Lambda Sensor) nor catalytic convertor, it can do no harm and can only do good. Not keen on the LRP option.

However, don't leave petrol mixed with synthetic oil for more than 2 weeks or so.

Mineral petrol and synthetic oils are not happy companions and will start to interact over time. Regular commuters will not have this problem but occasional riders are better off using cheaper mineral oil.

On the two-stroke machines I fly, we have a rule that any mixed fuel/oil that has not been used within 9 days (two consequitive weekends), we discard. Blend it into the tank of an old car that has no catalytic convertor nor Lambda Sensor.

I have a Lambda Sensor/ EGO installed on my flying machine and it lasts about 80 hours before being destroyed by the 2-stroke oil. It is connected to a fuel/air mixture meter to monitor in flight (rather critical on high performance two-stroke engines). Damned expensive to keep replacing.

Incidentally, as an engine oil on the KLR, I use the fully synthetic Castrol Power One Racing 4T. But my KLR is thirsty on oil and am considering finding a less expensive alternative. Any serious suggestions? Let's not get into the synthetic vs mineral debate here.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pannas

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109159

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
Incidentally, anyone who thinks they get more power out of a higher octane fuel is being fooled, or is subject to wishful thinking.

Energy of fuel is measured in Giga-Joules per kilogram. Or Calories per pound for the old school. Whether petrol is 89 Octane or 98 Octane, its energy density remains the same. Look it up in the spec sheets if you do not believe this.

Power is energy over time. Power can be measured in Watts (or kiloWatts).
A Watt is EXACTLY by definition, one joule per second (energy per time).
So the power your bike delivers at any given moment, is determined by how much fuel it burns per second, minus various losses (friction, wastage, etc).

Octane on the other hand, is a measurement of the fuel's resistance to detonation.
An engine's tendency to suffer from detonation depends on how highly tuned it is, including inter-alia compression ratio, squish-clearance, fuel/air ratio, etc.

On higher performing engines, detonation is more likely and therefor requires a fuel designed to reduce detonation, hence a higher Octane is required.

Again a higher Octane fuel contains no more energy per kg and can deliver no more power, especially if the lower Octane fuel suffices to eliminate detonation

The KLR is a relatively low perfomance engine (designed for longevity, not racing) and runs quite happily on surprisingly low octane fuel.

Running higher octane delivers no benefit, despite the higher price.

PS. LL100 Octane AVGAS is actually very low octane fuel, don't be fooled by the number 100. The way they measure octane for aviation engines is very very different.
I frequently encounter people trying to get more POWER from their engines by using AVGAS (simply not possible as per above) while they gradually destroy their pistons due to detonation.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pannas, DENTON, Piet

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109178

• Toggie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Weltevreeden Park
  • Thank you received: 27
Thanks Xplorer. What type (brand etc) of mineral oil would you recommend for the occasional rider like me?
DT175, IT250, YZ125, Bultaco 250, Z650, CBR400, Thunderace YZF1000, KLR650 :-)

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109183

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1708
brother - go down to the Midas, around the corner from Trac Mac - I think it is Aylesbury Rd 021 946 1200
castrol actevo 4T - it's what the book recommends - 60.00 bucks per liter - POW!

POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryderod, Keith, Toggie

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109216

• cobusv
  • Expert Boarder
  • Do what you love, love what you do!
  • Thank you received: 29
This topic made for some very interesting reading!
2014 Orange KLR 650, F1X Freeflow

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109265

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
@Toggie, are you referring to engine oil, or two-stroke oil to lube the valves?

If the latter, any mineral (non-synthetic) two-stroke oil would do.

If engine oil, looks like @Pannas gave an excellent recommendation.
Part-synthetic Castrol Actevo
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pannas

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109283

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1708
won't the occasional dose of 2stroke oil carbon up the outlet system, like it did on our 50cc bikes back in school...?
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109286

• Kalahari Pete
  • Gold Boarder
  • Northwold - Jhb
  • Thank you received: 98
I think the amount in question - 2ml per litre is probably too small to have an effect but it is one I am not qualified to answer Pannas.

I was going only by the Motul clinic at Randburg Motorcycles and it was their (Motuls) recommendation. I doubt it was done to boost sales as the amounts are so small :cheer:

Suppose you gotta listen to the guys, get answers to good questions like yours and then make your own decision :)
*KLR 2009 *Eagle Mike Doohicky * SW Motech Crash Bars *Leo Vince L3 *Wilber Progressive Front *ORC HD Rear Spring *Poli-Sports Front Fender *Excel rear rim * Motoradical s/s foot pegs *UNI Filter *PUIG wind deflector* 22 Cent Mod *12 V Power Outlet *Shad Top Box * Mitas EO7 * Pannier Racks by Errol...

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109287

• RubiKLR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 320
I've heard that 2 tots of the finest export Wellington in the tank gives your bike wings. Especially in rush hour, but yet again that is just an opinion ( the boys), not one I'm an expert on. :lol: :evil: :whistle:
It's never wrong to do the right thing

What petrol to use................ 2 years 7 months ago #109325

• Matsumarui
  • Fresh Boarder
Most of the posts in this thread regarding LRP are 6 years old, would anyone suggest using LRP in my 2012 model?

Thanks.