• Keith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Ek val eerder n 1000 keer as om op te hou ry
More
4 years 6 months ago #106337 by Keith
Replied by Keith on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

Tyres tyres tyres..

Given my riding is realistically mostly mixed off-road conditions with some unavoidable tar to connect to next stages… I selected tyres choices around this… also I don’t commute by bike at all so high tar mileage is not a requirement. Most of my rides are longer ADV tours with a heavy bike and only the occasional 300-400km day ride with no load. In search of the “right” combo for this requirement I have tried the following over the last few years… my thoughts on these are…

Kenda Big blocks – ok 50/50 tyres, low to average mileage and average off road.. just did not feel comfortable with them.
Kenda K270 – cheap and cheerful, very good off-road traction and grip, as good as any knobbly, but very squirmy on tar corners which you can get used too, average mileage, the rear runs square like an E-07 overtime. Good budget option.
Mitas E-09 Dakar – brilliant off road tyres that worked well on varied dirt terrain, gave remarkably high mileage. My first choice.
Mitas E-07 Dakar – good 50/50 tyres, the rears do run square and thus don’t offer same grip / durability as the E-09. Not for me.
Michelin T63 – good off road tyres, wear down very quickly on any tar, used up a set on 8 day off-road tour… did not expect to get more than 3000km on rear tyre. Won’t buy again.
Metzler Karoo 3 – very good off road and on road… was confident in dirt and on tar with these… are noisy and a pity that they also a soft compound that won’t offer high mileage. Good option for KLR weight… my second choice.
Michelin Desert Race – exceptional off road tyres, used by top factory Dakar teams, last well and hook up great on any off-road terrain, ok on tar and return good mileage.
Dunlop 606 - cheap and good old school KLR tyres, don’t like the feel of them on tar and cornering… also don’t expect same mileage from these as a E-09 which offers better grip all-round. Probably great option for farm bike.

So in conclusion I am sold on E-09 Dakar for KLR usage… granted they are more expensive, Karoo 3’s close second.

I have mixed enduro tyres (Michelin Desert Race / Maxxis) on my XR650... it is 40kgs lighter than a Fugly which is already lighter than a KLR E, this works well on this bike but I'd be nervous of this on heavier bike over the long term.

Again just one persons views on a "subjective" topic... some experimentation is required to find what works for you ;)

Pete

Pete what happened with those tyers Mark had at the tech day. You were still going to order some or waiting for them or something. Did they arrive and have you tried them and what are your thoughs B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter Vee
  • Vini, Vidi, Velcro; I came, I saw, I stuck around
More
4 years 6 months ago #106338 by Peter Vee
Replied by Peter Vee on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande
@Keith... unfortunately Mark H did not get back to me, in the interim I bought another set of Karoo 3's from Sharwoods... their online offering both ito prices and service is hard to beat.

Cheers,

Pete

Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

More
4 years 6 months ago #106340 by Charel
Replied by Charel on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande
www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-457-maxxcross-desert-it
This is just one example of a mx tire that is being used sucsessfully on heavy dual sport bikes.

2010 KLR650
Adventure is just a push of a button away

More
4 years 6 months ago #106341 by Charel

Leave it... it will become clear when the weight class difference causes the tire to become unhinged at speed.
Kinda like a size 32 jeans on a 44 waist.

You are a true ray of sunshine.... :blink:

2010 KLR650

• Peter Vee
  • Vini, Vidi, Velcro; I came, I saw, I stuck around
More
4 years 6 months ago #106342 by Peter Vee
Replied by Peter Vee on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

This is just one example of a mx tire that is being used sucsessfully on heavy dual sport bikes.

Got Maxxi on front of my XR650...

Not what I would rate as a heavy ADV bike.... that's the realms of GSA and S10s.. :silly:

Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charel

More
4 years 6 months ago #106343 by Charel

Got Maxxi on front of my XR650...

Not what I would rate as a heavy ADV bike.... that's the realms of GSA and S10s.. :silly:

Looks great.
Thank you for posting the pic

2010 KLR650

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #106345 by Gawie78
Replied by Gawie78 on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande
sorry for the hijack...

how is the Maxxi on wet tar?
Know almost everything is slippery when whet, even I am
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gawie78.

More
4 years 6 months ago #106346 by SarelG
Replied by SarelG on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

Pete what happened with those tyers Mark had at the tech day. You were still going to order some or waiting for them or something. Did they arrive and have you tried them and what are your thoughs B)

Keith, I bought a set of those.

klrclan.co.za/forum/maintenance/54357-al...nde?start=750#102647

It is now 5000 km later and they are looking good still. I mainly commute, so approximately 4500 km's was done on tar and the remaining on dirt. I am by no way a hooligan on tar, so the road holding as far as my riding style goes is good. (Yes Pannas, you will be able to scrape your footrests with these!! :laugh: ) In rain I slow down and have not had any problems there either.

What I can say is that the rear does not have good stopping power, if you step on the brake hard it slides. :dry:

As on the road, I take it the "easy does it" way off-road as well as I always have my wife as a pillion and I am impressed with their performance off-road. It is much better than the feeling I had to my previous set of Michelins Sirac's, but then again, they were 20/80 tyres.

I can not compare these to any other tyres as I had the factory fitted Dunlops, then the Sirac's and now these. By the look of them, I will get a good 10k to 15k km's out of them. If that is the case, I will buy them again.

One day I will die, but on all the others I will not, so on those days I will live it to the fullest!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Vee, Keith, THOR

More
3 years 9 months ago #113232 by Blackened
Replied by Blackened on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

Tyres tyres tyres..

Given my riding is realistically mostly mixed off-road conditions with some unavoidable tar to connect to next stages… I selected tyres choices around this… also I don’t commute by bike at all so high tar mileage is not a requirement. Most of my rides are longer ADV tours with a heavy bike and only the occasional 300-400km day ride with no load. In search of the “right” combo for this requirement I have tried the following over the last few years… my thoughts on these are…

Kenda Big blocks – ok 50/50 tyres, low to average mileage and average off road.. just did not feel comfortable with them.
Kenda K270 – cheap and cheerful, very good off-road traction and grip, as good as any knobbly, but very squirmy on tar corners which you can get used too, average mileage, the rear runs square like an E-07 overtime. Good budget option.
Mitas E-09 Dakar – brilliant off road tyres that worked well on varied dirt terrain, gave remarkably high mileage. My first choice.
Mitas E-07 Dakar – good 50/50 tyres, the rears do run square and thus don’t offer same grip / durability as the E-09. Not for me.
Michelin T63 – good off road tyres, wear down very quickly on any tar, used up a set on 8 day off-road tour… did not expect to get more than 3000km on rear tyre. Won’t buy again.
Metzler Karoo 3 – very good off road and on road… was confident in dirt and on tar with these… are noisy and a pity that they also a soft compound that won’t offer high mileage. Good option for KLR weight… my second choice.
Michelin Desert Race – exceptional off road tyres, used by top factory Dakar teams, last well and hook up great on any off-road terrain, ok on tar and return good mileage.
Dunlop 606 - cheap and good old school KLR tyres, don’t like the feel of them on tar and cornering… also don’t expect same mileage from these as a E-09 which offers better grip all-round. Probably great option for farm bike.

So in conclusion I am sold on E-09 Dakar for KLR usage… granted they are more expensive, Karoo 3’s close second.

I have mixed enduro tyres (Michelin Desert Race / Maxxis) on my XR650... it is 40kgs lighter than a Fugly which is already lighter than a KLR E, this works well on this bike but I'd be nervous of this on heavier bike over the long term.

Again just one persons views on a "subjective" topic... some experimentation is required to find what works for you ;)

Pete

Hi Pete. What do you think of the Heidenau K60 and please would you mind telling me where you buy your tires in JHB?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claude.CROW

• Baksteen
  • Transkei Warrior
  • Transkei Warrior
  • Just Ride!
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #113236 by Baksteen
Replied by Baksteen on topic All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

Tyres tyres tyres..

Pete

Hi Pete. What do you think of the Heidenau K60 and please would you mind telling me where you buy your tires in JHB?

Horses for courses.

Tyres, the only thing in contact with the road, on the bike you controll and some many other factors you don't... mmmm. (much like shocks, brakes - tyres, form the three most critical components)

Done about 52,000km's on my KLR.

Run only Michelin Tyres.

IMO, Best "KLR" Tyre ever made/avaliable was the Anakee2.

For performance and "effect" on some more challenging trips/rides, the T63 is a winner for performance i.t.o hammer to throttle per km.

As soon as I get to do my brake discs I will fit my Anakee Wild tyres. (sadly the above two models no longer available) so this will be my tyre for now, done some checking online, seems the big bikes in states doing 6000+ miles on a set (mixed surfaces) so I expect more on the KLR.

Anakee2 was a winner, did some very challenging trips on that tyre, mindful of my limitations. Always got close to 18,000km's on a rear.

With the T63, you had the mindset that the tyre WILL do it's job in the tough stuff, you just had to ride it.

Really looking forward to the new Anakee Wild, will see what it does on tar.. wear wise. But looking at the development they did previously, I imagine I will have still, a hammer tyre for the dirt/off-road.

KLR is a funny bike, a "jack of all trades, master of none" but in that sense, it is exactly that, a master of most.. so, if you riding along this tar road, and you see some awesome dirt off-ramp, I for one will want to take a wander down it, and when needed open the throttle.

I once said to myself, the ultimate tyre for the KLR650 is the T63. (no longer made)

But, on long road trips, the Anakee2 (and commute) has done an awesome job!

Yes, they cost more, but I have had one or two punctures, loaded bike, bad roads on trips and i have had zero issues with quality and many happy km's.

my 2c's
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Baksteen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claude.CROW