Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What have you done to your KLR lately?

Re:What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118276

• Paul
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
Abre I'm not sure if that new front wheel design will work off road!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118278

• Lars
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Says that it could be not related to his work and that it can be a lot of different things. Bike is with a friend right now because it is quite a shlep to get it back to the mechanic.

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118279

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 765
Hi Lars. A friend of mine Harry Casper's had the same problem with his bike. Think it was a wire that pinched, when fitting the tank. Will see if it can find out anything and let you know
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lars

Re:What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118282

• Lars
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Keith,

looks like it was something similar. Wiggled some wires and found a loose connection under the dash. Must have been disturbed when the forks were done. Pressed the button and she fired up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith, Jerkimiah

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118283

• DENTON
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi Guys, I went for a ride a week ago and we did some gravel in the Paarl wineroute area.
When leaving the dirt onto the tar I suddenlly could not engage 4th or 5th gear. I struggled on for a bit and then couldnt get 3rd either. Gear lever moves up but doesn't go into gear.
I was hoping that it was the clutch ratchet spring but after opening the clutch cover yesterday, I found everything intact, including the spring.
Any ideas perhaps? I dont really want to split the motor if not completely neccesary.

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118284

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 765
Did you check your gearlever. They tend to crack at the bottom

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118285

• Francois__1_
Its happened to me a few times now, and yesterday twice that the bike drops out back to the previous gear and then obviously jolts and rev bombs to hell and back.. but it also feels like with fifth gear I sometimes just get it in 5 where its straining... peaking on 5500 to 6000 rpm on 110 to 120kmph... then another day its gliding like hot oil.. doing 130-150 at the same rpms, and then the rpm hovers at like 4500 for 110kmph

Is it just me? I am idling it for a few mins in the morning to warm her up but whats with the variable 5th gear?
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Francois__1_.

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118286

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 784
DENTON wrote:
Hi Guys, I went for a ride a week ago and we did some gravel in the Paarl wineroute area.
When leaving the dirt onto the tar I suddenlly could not engage 4th or 5th gear. I struggled on for a bit and then couldnt get 3rd either. Gear lever moves up but doesn't go into gear.
I was hoping that it was the clutch ratchet spring but after opening the clutch cover yesterday, I found everything intact, including the spring.
Any ideas perhaps? I dont really want to split the motor if not completely neccesary.
And is the spring in the correct position? If you have the clutch cover open you are in the best position to judge whether the problem is inside or out...I would replace that spring if I were you.

Have you pulled a magnet through the drained oil? Any metal shavings or debris?

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118287

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 784
Francois__1_ wrote:
Its happened to me a few times now, and yesterday twice that the bike drops out back to the previous gear and then obviously jolts and rev bombs to hell and back.. but it also feels like with fifth gear I sometimes just get it in 5 where its straining... peaking on 5500 to 6000 rpm on 110 to 120kmph... then another day its gliding like hot oil.. doing 130-150 at the same rpms, and then the rpm hovers at like 4500 for 110kmph

Is it just me? I am idling it for a few mins in the morning to warm her up but whats with the variable 5th gear?
It has happened to me in the past, but only from 5th down to 4th and only when I did a lazy shift. When I first started using MC boots, this happened more frequently (due to lack of "feel").

If I do a positive shift (lever all the way to the top), then mine doesn't slip out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Francois__1_

What have you done to your KLR lately? 6 months 2 weeks ago #118288

• DENTON
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
Gear lever in perfect condition