Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear brake failure

Rear brake failure 3 years 7 months ago #92021

• Voogie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Clanners,

I need some advice, we went on a nice adventure to the Sabie area this week and boy was that fun, that is until we hit our first dirt road. My fugly did great the first 10km, and then all of a sudden my rear brakes start to scream for help. After another 2km I had no rear brakes. So we stopped to inspect and take a water break, but could not find anything out of the ordinary. When we got back on the brakes was 100% again, so I did not think to much of it until I realize that the same thing happens whenever I ride for longer than 20km even on tar. We did a complete bleed of the system about 2 months back. Not sure what is going on and could it have something todo with the heat, my riding buddy have almost the exact fugly and his brakes started to scream on the dirt but no failure or any other issues further.

On a side note: does anyone have a still in good condition set of Mitas E07's I currently have about 1mm thread left on my Michelin Sirac's left and are looking to replace with something a bit more capable on dirt, keep in mind I only do the occasional dirt riding on weekends and commute about 10km to work and back daily.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Voogie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92022

• nvnnick
How aggressive were you on the brakes? I had an episode when I came down Sani's pass where my back breaks faded to the point that I did not have any back breaks. This was due to me feathering the back break the entire time with a loaded bike which caused the break fluid to boil. Had to stop and let the fluid cool down and all was fine again. I must say I did however had some air in the breakline as I did not properly bleed the system. That also plays a huge role

Re:Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92024

• Voogie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I think I will bleed and replace with a high temperature break fluid and also look for braided hoses front and back. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92026

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 1010
Check that the brake pads are not sticking on the sliding pins resulting in the pads not releasing properly.

Also advisable to bleed the fluid properly once it overheated.
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92028

• Kalahari Pete
  • Gold Boarder
  • Northwold - Jhb
  • Thank you received: 98
I think the problem is you guys all have "breaks" - suggest you try "brakes" and your problems could be solved :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Good luck with the problem!.
*KLR 2009 *Eagle Mike Doohicky * SW Motech Crash Bars *Leo Vince L3 *Wilber Progressive Front *ORC HD Rear Spring *Poli-Sports Front Fender *Excel rear rim * Motoradical s/s foot pegs *UNI Filter *PUIG wind deflector* 22 Cent Mod *12 V Power Outlet *Shad Top Box * Mitas EO7 * Pannier Racks by Errol...

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92029

• - B R -
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
Take apart the entire caliper. Check the seals and pistons for wear and corrosion. Ensure that everything is cleaned and greased.
Air bubbles in the system also come to mind.
Check that the hoses also have no wear and tear as I have seen cuts that present themselves only at temperature. Braided hoses are a very good upgrade.

Forget the high temperature fluid, DOT4 is perfect, remember that you are dealing with 80's technology.
Only way the fluid would boil is if its old, but you stated that you bled the system prior, or if the pads are constantly touching.

Tire: I have a Continental Trail Attack 2 for sale, 90/90 R21, if you are interested. Excellent trail tire.
A motto that I beat into granite, with my size 13's, during my introduction to my personal kindergarten: "It will kill me, but you first!"

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92039

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 765
Had the same problem on Sani on the down

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92040

• Slowmow
  • Lieutenant
  • Once you go black, you don't go back
  • Thank you received: 208
verb (used with object), broke or (Archaic) brake; broken or (Archaic) broke; breaking.
to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments:
He broke a vase.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/break?s=t
2015 NC750X
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Slowmow.

Rear break failure 3 years 7 months ago #92044

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1706
:huh:
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

Rear brake failure 3 years 7 months ago #92069

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
  • Thank you received: 848
Change to braided bake hoses. That will solve the problem. Very common on rear brake on long down hills.

Also try to let your engine do the braking.on long down hills.
I like to drink lots of beer??
  • Page: