Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Speedo Repair

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109301

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Picture of the repaired gear.

Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Knapie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109328

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
Correction: The gear teeth were not straightened. The gear was actually moved ~2mm to the left to get the remaining good part of the gear teeth in contact with the worm gear driving it. Compare with the picture below taken before I had it repaired.

Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Knapie.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109337

• Titanic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • KLR 650 2007
  • Thank you received: 52
Thanks. That is very good information. I'm going to experiment with a messed up unit I have.
Never thought about moving the gear up.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109338

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
If I can get hold of a few busted speedo's, I think we may be able to make a new gear. Anyone out there who' willing to donate?

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109357

• diegrootbaas
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi
LeCap have some in his workshop (and I have one om my bike :( ).
If you want to make a new gear, make it with a hole through the center-line. Then you can replace it without dis-assembling (destroying) the unit. Just hold it in position and insert a pin shaft through it and fix the shaft in position (a piece of aluminium tape on both sides might do the trick). Just make sure the hole and the gears are very concentric. I'll be interested in buying one from you. If we can get enough people to commit, we can ask Wagner systems in the Cape to make us some (www.wagnersystems.co.za/).

Are both the mating gears plastic? Machining plastic to this kind of tolerances will be hard and one might have to use aluminium or brass but vesconite is probably the best (www.vesconite.com).
Regards
“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.” - Thomas Jefferson

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109359

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
diegrootbaas wrote:
Hi
If you want to make a new gear, make it with a hole through the center-line. Then you can replace it without dis-assembling (destroying) the unit. Just hold it in position and insert a pin shaft through it and fix the shaft in position (a piece of aluminium tape on both sides might do the trick). Just make sure the hole and the gears are very concentric. I'll be interested in buying one from you. If we can get enough people to commit, we can ask Wagner systems in the Cape to make us some (www.wagnersystems.co.za/).

Are both the mating gears plastic? Machining plastic to this kind of tolerances will be hard and one might have to use aluminium or brass but vesconite is probably the best (www.vesconite.com).
Regards

Yes, the worm gear driving this blue gear is also plastic. Metallic gears may just wear the other plastic ones, and then we may end up needing more than just this blue gear.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109360

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 784
Knapie wrote:
diegrootbaas wrote:
Hi

Regards

Yes, the worm gear driving this blue gear is also plastic. Metallic gears may just wear the other plastic ones, and then we may end up needing more than just this blue gear.
Are there signs of wear on the worm gear as well?

I will commit to buying a gear (price dependent, of course...)
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Piet.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109362

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
The worm gear still looked perfect. It was only the blue gear that wore out in the centre where it is in contact with the worm gear.

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109363

• Knapie
  • Expert Boarder
I'll be in CT next week Monday / Tuesday. Where will I find LeCap's shop?

Speedo Repair 2 years 7 months ago #109364

• Roes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Durbanville - CT
  • Thank you received: 310
2008 Green KLR written off
2006 Green KLR put to rest
2008 Green KLR so far so good! - sold
2004 Blue Honda Varadero XL1000V