Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Top end noise? ? ?

Top end noise? ? ? 3 years 7 months ago #108996

• RubiKLR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 323
Ag dankie Piet, ek voel sommer nou beter. :laugh: :whistle: :woohoo:
It's never wrong to do the right thing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Top end noise? ? ? 3 years 7 months ago #109051

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
Net n update.
Things done
Fixed the broken cam cap. Checked valve clearences, cam chain, guides and visually inspected cam journals. Removed KACR as it had allot of play, and the spring was already damaged. Noise not solved.
Then I thought of possible detonation due to carbon buildup (oil user). But why at idle, not under load, not a ping sound but clack, almost like bearing knock, and loudest at the exhaust cam when using the stethoscope method. I drained the oil, it's only 1000km old, but will get contaminated with the following method. Pulled the spark plug. Turned the engine to get the piston to TDC, poured ATF in the combustion chamber till the full. Note, both intake and exhaust valves to be closed so the ATF can reach the top of the chamber as well. Let this sit 24 hours, rotated the engine again, by hand, repeated for 5 days. Mon to Fri as I was working anyway. Saturday, drained ATF from combustion chamber and engine, ATF seeps past rings, washed the combustion chamber and then engine with Diesel. Allot of black soot came out. Added oil to engine, cranked ( used the starter) to get as much fluid out of the combustion chamber as possible. Inserted spark plug and started the motor. There was lots of white smoke as the ATF had to burn away. When the motor was warm, the noise returned, but was much lower in volume. I have since ridden about 60km. In that time, the noise became less frequent till it dissapeared. I hope it stays that way.
The ATF method is used to clear carbon from the combustion chamber and to loosen stuck rings.

I do not take responsabiluty for any mishaps or broken engines should anyone try any of this.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Riding and loving it.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Voël.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

Re:Top end noise? ? ? 3 years 5 months ago #110501

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
Just another update for those who may be interested. Bike still starts great without the KACR. Only did about 3k after removal. Not saying that removing it is not going to give problems later.
The noise seem to have been a shim bucket. It came and went a few times. Is hardly audible now, to the extent that I may be imagining things. It was very loud before. I am now trying to keep the oil at the top of the sight glass, instead of between the lines.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Riding and loving it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: handre

Re:Top end noise? ? ? 2 years 11 months ago #113801

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
Yet anouther update. The noise came back after a 1000km ride. The flange on the cam cap broke again. Was spotwelded to prevent warping. I had a new flange cut and re welded by a friend. Propperly this time. The cap did warp, but I managed to grind it to spec, checked with plastifauge. 1500km later and a trip up Sani with a fully loaded bike and all seems ok.

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk
Riding and loving it.

Re:Top end noise? ? ? 2 years 11 months ago #113802

• Voël
  • Gold Boarder
Herewith a pic

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk
Riding and loving it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarelG