Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113103

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 104
I noticed that on my 2013 KLR, the temperature needle never gets above about 2mm above the Cold mark, even when riding with wide-open throttle for 20 minutes.
The fan never switches on either...
Except when I switch the engine off after riding hard, then turn on the ignition again, I see the temperature needle rises rapidly till way above 50%

So I am guessing that my thermostat is stuck in the hot position and allows coolant flow through both engine and radiator even when the engine is cold.

Time to drain the coolant and check the thermostat...

I am wondering if this could be contributing to the very high oil consumption, using about 1ml per km, or a liter bottle per 1000km. Would a properly warm engine use less oil due to more even thermal expansion and sealing?

Craigs motorcycles suggested that I change oil type:
from Castrol Activo 10W-40
to Belray Thumper Oil, 10W-50

I bought a few liters but not yet done an oil change.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113111

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 784
I highly doubt that a different oil will reduce your usage and I also that the oil usage is due to cold running. The temp gauge is but an indicator, it does not really tell you much.

I'm thinking barrel shape or piston rings might be shot. You might need to rebore.

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113118

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 104
Its been like this since I bought the bike with only 12 000km on the clock and it looks very much like the bike has been lovingly cared for and not abused, so I doubt if it needs new rings.

The fact that my fan does not come on when the other KLR's riding alongside all have their fans going, confirms what my temperature gauge is telling me.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113121

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 784
xplorer wrote:
Its been like this since I bought the bike with only 12 000km on the clock and it looks very much like the bike has been lovingly cared for and not abused, so I doubt if it needs new rings.

The fact that my fan does not come on when the other KLR's riding alongside all have their fans going, confirms what my temperature gauge is telling me.
It's worth a shot - a rebore is much more expensive than a faulty thermostat! Good luck!

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113122

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 1034
I was surprised when you mentioned your bike's oil consumption in another thread. I was under the impression that the oil consumption issues where resolved with the black engined new shapes.

Maybe take it to capeklr to make sure that something small is not going to cause major and expensive damage in the future.
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113126

• Frik
When I went on my trip I noticed that the KLR's temperature gage is not going up more than 2-3 mm from the thick cold line, but when I stopped and idle the bike for long the gage will go to the centre and then the fan will activate to bring it downish and then switch off again.

From my previous KLR I cannot recall where the gage was lying in normal operating conditions?

Bike is running cool and fan is operating when needed.

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113127

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1730
My temp gauge also stays down - hardly ever rises above half - and only if I stand still and idle for a long time - I recon your cooling systems is just fine...
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

Engine not heating up & very high oil consumption 3 years 1 month ago #113140

• Mudslug
  • Senior Boarder
  • Doosburg If life's a journey, journey on a bike.
  • Thank you received: 39
Seems strange your bike uses so much oil. Like Pannas, my 2011 models gauge only rises when stationary for a while and mine uses very little oil
MB50, RD350, XT500, RD350, GPZ500, F650GS DAKAR, F650GS, R1200GS, DT125, R1200GS ADV. , XR125, R1200GS ADV. , KLR650.