Topic-icon Add fuel and subtract coolant

• Kykdaar
  • Kykdaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 9 months ago #117180 by Kykdaar
Add fuel and subtract coolant was created by Kykdaar
Been struggling recently to bring my KLR's fever (high running temp) under control.

Bike was running lean after 685 install and fan would come on often - even when riding. I hate a hot running bike so have been trying a few things (22 cent mod, fuel screw adjustment, radiator flush, etc) with no real improvement.

What i sort of forgot about is that i am also running oversized valves.

Decided that i will rather go rich and work my way back from there than run lean so i took the fuel screw out to 2&1/2 to richen up the idle circuit, added another washer to richen up the mid-range and stuck in a 160 main jet.

Also diluted the coolant mix to 20/80 ratio - there is some very interesting reading available on that aspect on the Net.

Added a gutted exhaust and pulled the rubber airbox inlet to balance the airflow a bit.

Was expecting to find spluttering and surging to occur given the radical change, but bike pulls cleanly and strongly throughout the rev range. Will do a plug chop later, but for now it seems that the bike is running cool again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
More
2 years 9 months ago #117186 by Dieseldawie
Replied by Dieseldawie on topic Add fuel and subtract coolant

Been struggling recently to bring my KLR's fever (high running temp) under control.

Bike was running lean after 685 install and fan would come on often - even when riding. I hate a hot running bike so have been trying a few things (22 cent mod, fuel screw adjustment, radiator flush, etc) with no real improvement.

What i sort of forgot about is that i am also running oversized valves.

Decided that i will rather go rich and work my way back from there than run lean so i took the fuel screw out to 2&1/2 to richen up the idle circuit, added another washer to richen up the mid-range and stuck in a 160 main jet.

Also diluted the coolant mix to 20/80 ratio - there is some very interesting reading available on that aspect on the Net.

Added a gutted exhaust and pulled the rubber airbox inlet to balance the airflow a bit.

Was expecting to find spluttering and surging to occur given the radical change, but bike pulls cleanly and strongly throughout the rev range. Will do a plug chop later, but for now it seems that the bike is running cool again.

Then I need to speak to you. I dont have the running hot issue, but the rest sounds the same. Does not idle on choke etc.

I like to drink lots of beer??

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
More
2 years 9 months ago #117187 by Dieseldawie
Replied by Dieseldawie on topic Add fuel and subtract coolant
And maybe I can help you with a couple of Banjo bolts as well.

I like to drink lots of beer??

• Kykdaar
  • Kykdaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 9 months ago #117189 by Kykdaar
Replied by Kykdaar on topic Add fuel and subtract coolant
Sharp - will pm you my number and we can chat