Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance

Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #7988

• Staalburger
Decided to do this yesterday with the bike now on 10800km. The rocker and swing arm needle bearings were all still fine but a bit low on grease. The swing arm pivot shaft bolt was still Ok but I had greased that about a year ago. The rocker arm pivot shaft bolt was dry dry dry and rusted. I removed all the old grease from all the rocker arm and swing arm needle bearings and replaced it with waterproof grease and cleaned all the seals. Sorry, no pics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8051

• MLC
I thought I would give my suspension and swing arm a going over. The swing arm shaft and the rocker arm end in the frame was no problem but the I could not loosen the nuts on the dog bone ends and the middle of the rocker arm. I've sprayed Q20 (all I have) on the threads and round the back of the nut, but so far nothing. Believe me, I got some good torque on those nuts.

Am I missing something, like left hand threads or are they just a bitch to get off?

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8057

• Staalburger
MLC wrote:
I thought I would give my suspension and swing arm a going over. The swing arm shaft and the rocker arm end in the frame was no problem but the I could not loosen the nuts on the dog bone ends and the middle of the rocker arm. I've sprayed Q20 (all I have) on the threads and round the back of the nut, but so far nothing. Believe me, I got some good torque on those nuts.

Am I missing something, like left hand threads or are they just a bitch to get off?

Mine came off easy. Loosened everything with the rear wheel still on the ground and then lifted the rear up. Did mine from the nut side not the bolt side. To get the rocker out you have to loosen the lower engine mounting nut.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8058

• Cracker
  • Gold Boarder
  • My kind of horse!!
  • Thank you received: 1
You boys are making me panic. I checked the dogbones, etc recently on 10500km but nothing else (just lazy). Now you telling me I better check the rest, phew.

MLC, no left hand threads mate, sorry. Maybe you left it later than you should have! I hope not!
Life may not be the party we hoped for...
But while we are here we might as well dance!'

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8064

• MLC
Damn, the forum logged me out while I was typing the message and all got lost :( Here's take two.

Thanks for the info. The bike has only done 6500km. I'll try some heat and longer pipe on the spanner next. If that fails I'll go to my friend Allan, he has the equipment to make any metal yield. He straightened my crash bar with a 6ft crow bar and a pipe extension, it was scary.

BTW, like Staalburger found, the shaft that attaches the rocker arm to the frame was also dry and corroded on my bike. Its worth checking that as it seems to be a another weak spot.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8071

• RobC
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Carefull with the heat, that can bugger up the seals and bearings. Plenty patience, enough WD40 and gentle tapping should get it out. But it does sound like it needs some TLC. :(
Got my motor runnin... heading for the highway...
08 KLR650 Green/Shock Protector Flap-Penta-Tooltube-Crash Bars-LED instrument lights-Hazard and Indicator Mod-Stiebel Horn-PCV Mod-SS footpegs-HID Headlights-progressive fork springs-upgraded shock and spring.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8072

• Staalburger
RobC wrote:
Carefull with the heat, that can bugger up the seals and bearings. Plenty patience, enough WD40 and gentle tapping should get it out. But it does sound like it needs some TLC. :(

Ja, mine came off easy but with a snap. Almost like it had locktight on but I couldn't see evidence of any. Did put some on when I put it all back together. I would say the dogbones are not the problem. The biggest worry was the rocker arm bolt/shaft that was dry.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8144

• Cracker
  • Gold Boarder
  • My kind of horse!!
  • Thank you received: 1
Removed and checked the swingarm linkage today. I had to loosen the engine mounting bolt and swingarm bolt to get the stupid thing back in.

Anyway, checked all bearings, no problems. Still clean and greased. Seems the seals are doing their job just fine .

I added grease anyway but I didn't need to do this job (11 000km on the clock). and my bike has spent plenty time in water and mud.
Life may not be the party we hoped for...
But while we are here we might as well dance!'

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8147

• Staalburger
Cracker wrote:
Removed and checked the swingarm linkage today. I had to loosen the engine mounting bolt and swingarm bolt to get the stupid thing back in.

Anyway, checked all bearings, no problems. Still clean and greased. Seems the seals are doing their job just fine .

I added grease anyway but I didn't need to do this job (11 000km on the clock). and my bike has spent plenty time in water and mud.

What about the rocker arm shaft bolt? Mine was a bit rusted.

Re:Swing, rocker-arm and tie-rod maintenance 10 years 10 months ago #8154

• RobC
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Cracker wrote:
That is SOP according to the manual...:)
Got my motor runnin... heading for the highway...
08 KLR650 Green/Shock Protector Flap-Penta-Tooltube-Crash Bars-LED instrument lights-Hazard and Indicator Mod-Stiebel Horn-PCV Mod-SS footpegs-HID Headlights-progressive fork springs-upgraded shock and spring.