Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another one bikes the dust!

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119575

• Monkey#13
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Attention all!

A little introduction: I be a Citizen of the fairest Cape of them all! No not the West, nor the East, but the NORTH! From the dust and rocks and sand of the green Kalahari (and the Haakbos and Kameeldoring). From a village known for its particular shade of pink called Kathu. Well it's hardly a village anymore these days to be honest...

Excuse the drama but I thought it best not to just enter but to announce my presence with some fanfare. Enough of that now.

I am fairly new to biking (motorbikes being death machines and all evil distilled into metal and plastic and fuel and noise!). I am very new to KLR. I started riding October last year on a CRF250L. Still have it but... it's not lekker to be full throttle just to hold 115 for more than 6,6 minutes at a time. And being from the big sky country with it's vast horizon and endless gravel highways, a need was identified. Now I know that a KLR could never be described as a luxurious bike however, it is for me a vast comfort upgrade from the 250! Thus enters a 2007(8) new shape with 26k km within my budget. It is red with a silver frame. (Everything in Kathu turns pink eventually, so if the plastics fade, she should fit right in :P). I am struggling to re-size images - pics to follow.

I have not had the pleasure of a lot of cross country trips yet, but I have done a couple of long days in the last couple of months. 500km of gravel and 700km tar being the longest.

Likes thus far: The thumper sound (Penta aftermarket can installed by a previous owner).
Not having to wring it's neck to hold 110-130. The wind protection - no idea how good it is compared to say a BMW GS, but vastly superior to having none! The weight (better in cross winds than the 250...)

Dislikes: The stress of HEARING about the doo, not knowing what it is, where to find it, what happens when it goes to pieces etc. (My doo has been done - tracked down the original owner who confirmed it's an Eagle Mike jobby).
The pegs - they're bent and really not great to start off with.
The installed pannier racks - don't know what brand but it vibrated loose on a bad stretch of gravel, almost ending up in the rear spokes and I could not get the nuts and bolts to stay fastened for more than 25km's after that. (Took it off the moment I got home).
The clutch lever - it snapped off when I took a wee tumble at the end of a long day riding (we all get tired ok?). Where can I find shorty levers by the way? I did file the sharp edges so I guess it is a shorty now - Pooratech style!

Anyway - that is it for now. Looking forward to tap into all the knowledge and experience on the forum. I will try to add to it in due time!

Theo
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pannas, keebo, Keith

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119576

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1708
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119577

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1708
Hallo Theo - gooi my jou selnommer, dan sit ek jou op ons weskaap whatsapp groepe
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119579

• Monkey#13
  • Fresh Boarder
Wes Kaap is so 700-1000km van my af... Ek is nader aan Gauteng.

Re:Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119580

• Psycho Porra
  • Last Man Standing
  • Sworn To Fun And Loyal To Rum
  • Thank you received: 1484

If you feel like a lekker ride, take one down to Kenhardt. Eeton is a KLR member and owns the hotel in Kenhadt
"The Brave do not Live Forever, but the Cautious do not Live at all"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monkey#13

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119581

• handre
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
Welcome Theo!

Re:Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119582

• Monkey#13
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I've been eyeing a ride out that way for a looooong time - going via Boegoeberg, Put-sonder-water and Verneukpan. Trouble is finding the time for all the dust trails I am printing in my mind's eye.

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119583

• Monkey#13
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks!

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119584

• Monkey#13
  • Fresh Boarder

Another one bikes the dust! 2 months 2 weeks ago #119585

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 1012
Welcome, you are certainly spoiled with riding options.

I have soft pannier racks made by Errol with which I am very happy with. Never once came loose. I use soft luggage with it. The soft luggage also seem to be softer on the bike. If you use a top box you will have to reinforce the carrier rack, the standard bolts are not strong enough.

Many happy safe miles.
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monkey#13