Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any tips for the newbe?

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #121482

• Heidi Shardelow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey everybody

Me, my husband and some friends are going on a trip in October (about 3 000 km). Any tips as this would be my first long-distance trip with my KLR?

Heidi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #121483

• Peter Vee
  • Vini, Vidi, Velcro; I came, I saw, I stuck around
  • Thank you received: 1395
Hello Heidi,

See page 5 on this Ride Report... contains some tips etc... will post some more here for you.

www.klrclan.co.za/forum/ride-reports/521...days-3000km?start=40
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heidi Shardelow

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #121484

• Peter Vee
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #121485

• Peter Vee
And here.. stuff to remember for tours...

Weight is not your friend, especially on a motorcycle and in off road use where you travel alone without the security of a back up. Weight severely affects the handling of the bike. Weight increases the wear and cost on shocks and in many cases can crack the frame of the bike.

Organise And Categorise – Panniers have a natural tendency to be black holes. The most important things always seem to get sucked down to the very bottom of the pannier. That is the last thing you want during a storm, when you’re trying to find your rain gear. Just a little organisation goes a long way towards avoiding this chaos.

Start by sorting things into categories – Pack all the food and cooking gear in one bag. Then your clothes. Pack the tools and spare parts you are carrying in their own bags. The equipment you’ll need in the tent at night and so on. This will help you remember where everything is and not having to unpack everything. Repairing a tyre goes much quicker when the tubes, levers and patch kit are all in one place and not spread across your panniers and bags.

Balance the weight – Try to balance the weight both from side to side and from front to back. Especially try not having weight too far back out behind the rear wheel. A lopsided motorbike will be difficult to steer and dangerous to ride. Uneven weight also puts unnecessary pressure on the racks and frame of the motorcycle. You do not want the bike topple over due to too much weight on one side when you stop or try to negotiate a difficult off road track. It sounds very obvious but it is an easily overlooked point.

Important valuable stuff goes on top – Think about what you are likely to need during the day and then put these things near the top of a pannier, where they’re easily reached. Rain gear, sleeping stuff, electronics, clothes, ect.

Pack the heaviest stuff into the panniers or as low as possible on the motorcycle. If the weight is on top of your bike it will make handling and maneuvering the bike more difficult. Think of the weight on top of the bike as a metronome weight moving. Keep your heaviest stuff in the panniers and as low down as possible on the bike.

Leave extra space – There is always something you’ll want to add to your bags, like buying beer and meat in the afternoon before setting camp or a souvenir. If your bags are stuffed before you leave they’re too full. Get rid of stuff until you have at least half a pannier free.

Protect sensitive stuff – Anything liquid like chain or engine oils, shampoo and such should go in the strongest container you can find and be placed so it stands upright in the bottom of a pannier if possible.

Electronics need special protection -Electronic stuff don’t do well with offroad vibrations, bumps and falls. Soft padded case will protect a laptop and other gadgets from dust, vibrations and shock. Add further protection by packing electronics between layers of clothes, to minimize their exposure to bumps and shocks.

Use a Tank Bag – for the most critical items like maps, cameras, wallet, passport and other valuables. It can come with you when you need to leave the bike for a few moments. The peace of mind that comes from being able to take these crucial stuff when having to go through border post or just running into a shop for foo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith, Heidi Shardelow

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #121486

• Peter Vee
Last thought.... check oil levels at every fuel stop... good habit to acquire on a KLR

Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 14 hours ago #121487

• Heidi Shardelow
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow, thanks, definitely learned a few new tricks here, especially with the extra parts, appreciate it.

Re:Any tips for the newbe? 3 weeks 7 hours ago #121489

• Psycho Porra
  • Last Man Standing
  • Sworn To Fun And Loyal To Rum
  • Thank you received: 1546
+1 on everything Peter said and most importantly, enjoy every minute of the journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The Brave do not Live Forever, but the Cautious do not Live at all"

Re:Any tips for the newbe? 2 weeks 6 days ago #121490

• capeklr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Planet Earth
  • Thank you received: 684
Hi Heidi, welcome here.
If you are two or more bikes, spread the load, you only need one set of tyre levers and one air compressor to pump up tyres. It would be foolish that every bike has a set of these. So get together and discuss who takes what.
Don't forget a roll of toilet paper, its sometimes called white gold on trips. :)
On my last trip I had a little opsie and needed to find a pharmacy in the middle of Namibia to get
some bandage and anti inflammatory. Ended up riding a few hundred kilometres on tar to a town I had no intention of visiting. So a basic first aid kit.
Enjoy and take lots of photos, post them here so we can all droll and enjoy your trip.
"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
St Augustine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith, Heidi Shardelow

Re:Any tips for the newbe? 2 weeks 6 days ago #121491

• Heidi Shardelow
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. It's so easy to forget the basic stuff (like white gold) ha ha, but that's why I ask you experts and I'm glad I did, got some great tips, very thankful.
I will definitely take a bunch of photos and share, I am very excited.
Heidi

Re:Any tips for the newbe? 2 weeks 6 days ago #121492

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 1034
Welcome and enjoy the trip. A ride report is now compulsory :cheer:
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....
  • Page: