• Planet Earth
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #121996 by capeklr
Replied by capeklr on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
St Augustine
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: EchoThreeMike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Ek val eerder n 1000 keer as om op te hou ry
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #121997 by Keith
Replied by Keith on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN
Welcome. Nice area for you there. Also nice and close to Swaziland, once the boreders open. Enjoy the bike. Keep an eye on the oil for about the first 6 months, till you get a feel for the consumption. Interresting job you have

• EchoThreeMike
  • EchoThreeMike's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #121998 by EchoThreeMike
Replied by EchoThreeMike on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN
Thanks Keith! You are correct, we have a host of stunning areas to explore. I am looking forward to rediscover the Lebombo mountains where I lived a few years back. There is a spot that has a breathtaking vista over the southern banks of Jozini dam.

I am monitoring the oil usage, am a little concerned that I have added around 500ml over the last 250km of relaxed riding (below 5000rpm) Most of my riding is short distance (less than 5km) but I always allow the engine to warm up before setting off. Running Motul 10W40. I will search this forum as I am sure there is plenty of info regarding oil consumption!

I was born at a very young age, and am easily distrac.........
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by EchoThreeMike. Reason: Typos

• Abre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #121999 by Abre
Replied by Abre on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN
E3M

Do you check the oil level when the bike is upright? I usually check mine with a hot engine and then let it stand for 15 or 20 min to let the oil settle. I prefer to add a little oil more regularly rather than wait for the level to drop to the minimum level. I add oil when the level is in the middle of the sight glass. Unfortunately the 2008 models (if yours is a 2008 model) have a reputatiin of burning oil. Keep the air filter clean and oiled regularly. Motul is a good oil

Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....

• EchoThreeMike
  • EchoThreeMike's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #122000 by EchoThreeMike
Replied by EchoThreeMike on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN
Hi Abre

Yes, upright on centre-stand or helped by a friendly assistant with a warm engine (the bike, not the assistant), normally a few minutes after shut-down.

So....this thread inspired me to drop the oil, as I bought the bike about a month ago with an invoice from the previous service. Unfortunately the invoice only reflects the date (July 2020) and not the mileage at which it was performed. As I have a fresh filter and oil, I reckoned that 48500km will be my starting point for the maintenance schedule going forward.

Having attended the University of YouTube and possessing adequate gross motor skills to be left unattended for brief moments, I approached this minor task armed with the requisite tools and a healthy degree of optimism.

All went swimmingly until I removed the oil filter cover plate and extracted the filter. Every YT video had implored me to carefully transfer the oil bypass tube from the old filter into the new, so it was with great surprise that I noted a distinct absence of said tube. I checked my workspace (read ‘floor’) as well as the bucket of warm engine oil standing upon it. It was conspicuously tubeless.

I will be in contact with the previous owner of the machine to confirm whether he had performed any maintenance subsequent to the invoice. If that is a negative, I will then be in touch with that facility in the faint hope that the confused mechanic is still standing scratching his head with one hand, the other clutching a motorcycle-less KLR oil bypass tube…

My tale now leads to two questions:
1. Are such items obtainable? (If not, I will have to find diagrams and ask an engineer-friend to fabricate one)

2. Is it safe to still ride the bike sans oil tube? Obviously it is there for a reason, otherwise Kawasaki-san would not have put it there. My riding is (for now) short-range at 5-20km at a time, and I ‘pre-flight’ before each sortie.

Bonus question: I also noted that the one mounting lobe (where the bolt goes through) on the oil filter engine cover is cracked, but intact. I reinstalled it after changing the oil and filter, ran the engine at idle for a few minutes until temps were up, as well as revving it up to 5000RPM. No oil seepage visible, so holding thumbs that all is OK. Are these oil covers available?

I shall trawl the interwebs to try and locate these two parts, but would like to hear if the Clan council has any recommendations.

I also apologise in advance if these questions have been previously postulated.

E3M

I was born at a very young age, and am easily distrac.........

• Abre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #122001 by Abre
Replied by Abre on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN
Le Cap in Cape Town will probably be able to help with the oil bypass tube and the oil filter cover. Google Le Cap Motorcycles to get his contact details. Groenie or Doctor KLR should also be able to help. Their details should be somewhere on this forum.

Without the tube the oil doesn't go through the filter. Be very careful with the tightening of the sump plug. It is very easy to strip the thread or crack the case because of over tightening.

Good luck, hope you get your bike sorted soon.

Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....

• capeklr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Planet Earth
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #122002 by capeklr
Replied by capeklr on topic New member, Hluhluwe KZN

1. Are such items obtainable? (If not, I will have to find diagrams and ask an engineer-friend to fabricate one) Yes they are obtainable from the agents or Lecap, Groenie or DocKLR. I don't have any so can't help you. Do not try and have one made up as its not just a tube, but a pressure release valve as well.

2. Is it safe to still ride the bike sans oil tube? Unfiltered oil will be going into the engine bearings. So rather not ride to much.

Bonus question: I also noted that the one mounting lobe (where the bolt goes through) on the oil filter engine cover is cracked, Some body has previously over tightened those two bolts. Only 10 n/m of torque needed.

E3M

Please remember to also replace the sump plug washer with every service.
I have seen a few cases where bikes are owner serviced, never replace this washer and then after
the six or seventh service it starts to leak as the washer is totally buggered. Then they tighten the sump plug more and more till the leak hopefully stops, but end up cracking the engine casing instead.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
St Augustine